When it comes time to prepare a home for sale, there are a number of quick and affordable fixes that can help seal the deal, while some so-called improvements may sink a sale. When it’s time to put your home on the market, there are some definite do’s and don’ts.
- Give your home a fresh coat of paint. Freshly painted walls are one of the top selling features for potential buyers.
- Make minor repairs. Many homeowners see even minor repairs as worry and work.
- Kennel pets during showings. Many potential buyers will not purchase a home occupied by a pet.
- Consider replacing a roof. Many potential buyers view this as a big ticket item. The fact that your home has a new roof will be a selling feature.
- Repaint your home’s exterior. Typically every five to 10 years is a great time to repaint a home. Exterior fixes like replacing siding or repainting can go a long way.
- Install expensive finishes or fixtures for selling purposes. Many times potential buyers will want to add their own personal touch as far as improvements.
- Forget the power of home staging. Home staging is one of the most powerful selling tools in which a property is staged or styled in order to be presented in its best possible light.
- Forget to have your property professionally cleaned. This will make a huge visual impact.
- Forget the selling power of kitchens and bathrooms. Kitchens and bathrooms still sell homes, so if you are looking for ideal places to place your investment dollars, this is a strong choice.
- Forget to neutralize and depersonalize, from removing personal paint or carpet colors to personal design choices. A neutral palette is most attractive for selling.
Cathy Hobbs, based in New York City, is an Emmy Award-winning television host and a nationally known interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C.
Text and visual courtesy by Tribune News Service (TNS)
Follow us on Wechat or Facebook for the latest updates.
Download StarProperty.my e-Mag(bit.ly/StarProperty_Emag) for more articles.
Want to contribute articles to StarProperty.my? Email email@example.com.
[slider id='81590' name='StarProperty' size='full']